NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- BlackRock, the largest U.S. asset-management firm, says Americans need to consider different ways to ensure they have enough money in retirement, including reducing cash holdings and using exchange traded funds.
The stock market has been volatile, making investors skittish. Yet Treasury yields at 2% are barely keeping up with inflation, and there is a lot of cash on the sidelines earning almost nothing. That has left many investors discouraged.
10 Top Warren Buffett Dividend Stocks
"Investors are looking for answers in a new world where the returns they once took for granted are constrained by historically low yields, market volatility and shifting investment patterns," BlackRock CEO Laurence D. Fink said. "Wherever I go, the question I hear most often is: 'So what do I do with my money?' "
2. Seek Income in Different Places Consider investing in dividend-paying stocks, which often pay twice as much as Treasuries. Higher yields can also be found in corporate bonds, high-yield bonds, municipal bonds and even emerging market sovereign debt. 3. Open Your Eyes to Alternatives Alternatives like mutual funds and exchange traded funds that invest in commodities, real estate and energy can achieve above-average returns and reduce risk because they are less likely to move in tandem with stocks and bonds.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV