Four years after the economic downturn, finance executives at mid-market companies are still focused on maintaining financial discipline and ensuring they have sufficient cash on hand. Executives acknowledge, however, that maintaining that level of discipline will be difficult as growth picks up, and cash is required for urgent spending and investment needs.
These are among the findings from a new American Express/CFO Research report on mid-size companies, “Cash and Working-Capital Discipline: CFOs at midsize firms face their top financial challenges,” that is being released at this week’s 19 th annual CFO Leadership Summit. The report surveyed 323 senior finance executives at mid-size companies in the United States.
“Balancing working capital performance with competing spending needs and growth opportunities is a key challenge companies of all sizes face today,” said Darryl Brown, President, Americas, Global Corporate Payments, American Express. “Mid-size companies have additional challenges, as they frequently negotiate for better payment terms with companies larger than they are, putting them at an obvious disadvantage. These companies need to be even smarter and more disciplined when it comes to cash flow management, and find new ways to maximize their working capital.”
Strategies for Surviving Recession Create Foundation for GrowthThe vast majority (85%) of finance executives at mid-size companies are more financially disciplined in the aftermath of the recent downturn.
- While over one-third of all respondents (34%) say that maintaining financial discipline will become easier in the coming year, more respondents (41%) say they expect it will become more difficult as financial and personnel resources are allocated to meet new growth prospects.
- Sixty-nine percent of respondents say that financial discipline will contribute to their competitive advantage over the next year – in contrast with 18% that cited this would limit their company’s competitive advantage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV