NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Is it a long shot for Intel (INTC) ...or is it a no shot? Specializing in snap judgments, the media tend to veer toward extremes. We see that now in coverage of Intel's plan to deliver pay-TV programming. Many, including Business Insider, are reflexively condemning. It went snippy and dismissive in the headline: "Intel Is Apparently The Latest Tech Company To Think It Can Replace Cable TV."
Business Insider immediately sets to work putting Intel out of its perceived misery: "This sounds doomed from the get-go." On one level, there's some validity to Business Insider's take. So far, Google (GOOG) and Apple (AAPL) ) have treaded where Intel now dares to go, and neither has much to show for it. And cable companies like Comcast (CMCSA), Time Warner (TWX) and Cablevision (CVC) are juggernauts.
But a wholesale preemptive dismissal of Intel is as misplaced as total confidence. Google and Apple, after all, might eventually succeed. It's a tall order, but they haven't been at it that long. And Intel is, obviously, a great operator.
That's why The Wall Street Journal had a more informative take. They are cautious on Intel's chances, but not downright negative. The Journal's headline is a more cheery: "The New Cable-TV Guy: Intel," while the article catalogues the challenges, from bandwidth to the cost of programming, set against Intel's apparent determination.For certain, Intel is up against it in television, but at least reserve Intel a fighting, if outside chance.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV