BOSTON, March 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- A recent study* from Carbonite, Inc. (NASDAQ: CARB), a leading provider of online backup solutions for consumers and small and medium sized businesses, revealed surprising responses from small business owners on how they prepare for a data disaster. The findings address a number of topics, from small businesses' approach to backing up data to their confidence in their strategy for protecting against information loss.
Complicated practices lead to incomplete backup
According to the study, small businesses are using a variety of technologies to back up data including some antiquated methods that leave the backup process incomplete and susceptible to information loss. These technologies include external hard drives, USB/flash drives and CDs/DVDs. The data further revealed many businesses are using a combination of these antiquated technologies, which can make backing up even more complex and compound their risk for data loss. Such methods must be monitored manually and very frequently to ensure that the backups are current and protected. When multiple methods of backup are used, each must be managed, and careful records of where backed up data is stored needs to be maintained and checked to ensure the backup is complete.Despite known risks, small businesses continue to choose a range of risky and unreliable technologies:
- Hard Drives are Proven to Fail: 50 percent use external hard drives, yet 20 percent backing up their business data indicated they started to do so because of a hard drive failure.
- USB/Flash Drives are Already Unreliable: 42 percent use USB/flash drives primarily because it is perceived as easy, yet only 6 percent believe USB/flash drives to actually be reliable.
- CDs/DVDs are Inconvenient and Risky: More than one-third use CDs/DVD drives to backup data, even though 62 percent feel they are inconvenient or risky.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts