The deal values Madison, Wi-based Great Wolf Resorts at a 19% premium to Monday's close and at a post-crisis high, after shares in the entertainment park company were more than halved during the crisis on a string of loss-making years. Separately, Great Wolf said that it would adopt a shareholder rights plan , otherwise known as a "poison pill" that will make it prohibitively expensive for a new investor to acquire more than 12.5% of the company's shares.
Prior to Tuesday's announcement, Great Wolf Resorts shares rallied over 44% to $4.19, adding to a more than 11% 2011 stock gain. After news of the deal, Great Wolf shares rose over 21% to $5.10 in pre-market trading, above the offer price, and at highs not seen since September 2008.In 2011, Great Wolf Resorts saw its annual loss narrow to $25 million after reporting annual losses of more than double that size in the previous two years. "After a thorough assessment, we concluded that the proposal put forth by Apollo is the best way to maximize value for shareholders, who will receive a substantial and immediate cash premium for their shares," said Kim Schaefer, Chief Executive of Great Wolf. -- Written by Antoine Gara in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV