Bulls Get On Board Overseas Shipholding
By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- The bulls are onboard with Overseas Shipholding (OSG).
More than 6,200 options traded in the oil-tanker company Monday, compared with a daily average of about 3,300. Most of the activity focused on the April 11 calls, which traders bought for 40 cents to 50 cents, according to OptionMonster's real-time tracking systems. Almost 3,800 traded against open interest of 2,027 contracts at the strike.
These calls lock in the value investors must pay to get long the stock. Because they cost much less than the shares themselves, they can appreciate on a percentage basis much more than the stock if it moves in the right direction. But they will also expire worthless if that doesn't happen.The stock rose 6.11% to $9.03 Monday. It has lost more than two-thirds of its value in the last year and is attempting to rebound from an all-time low established earlier this month. That selloff has left it with a hefty short interest, some 39% of the float. The shares also trade for less than 0.2 time book value. Both of those considerations could help drive it higher. Overall calls in the name outnumbered puts by more than 5 to 1, a reflection of the session's bullish sentiment. Russell has no positions in OSG.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV