Asia Stocks Rise Ahead Of Federal Reserve Meeting
BANGKOK (AP) â¿¿ World stock markets rose Tuesday as investors hoped to hear encouraging words about the U.S. economy when Federal Reserve policymakers conclude a meeting later in the day.
Benchmark oil rose to near $107 per barrel while the dollar gained against the euro and the yen.
Analysts don't expect Fed chief Ben Bernanke to announce any changes to its key interest rate, which is already close to zero, but are waiting to see if the Fed expresses confidence in the economic outlook. Recent reports suggest that the U.S. economic recovery is gaining momentum. Employers added 227,000 jobs in February, more than analysts were expecting."They will maintain loose money and a low interest rate. And I think that will help the U.S. on the way to recovery," said Francis Lun, managing director of Lyncean Holdings in Hong Kong. Still, the global economic outlook remains fuzzy. China's trade figures released on the weekend suggested the world's No. 2 economy continues to slow. On Monday, Greece implemented the biggest debt writedown in history when private investors agreed to accept big losses on their bond holdings. The move should help Greece stave off default later this month, but the country is still in a severe recession, and deep-rooted problems continue to haunt other struggling European economies. European stock markets opened higher. Britain's FTSE 100 rose 0.4 percent to 5,918.69 and Germany's DAX gained 0.8 percent to 6,953.38. France's CAC-40 added 0.7 percent to 3,514.56. Wall Street was set to gain, with Dow Jones industrial futures 0.4 percent higher at 12,946. S&P 500 futures gained 0.4 percent to 1,372.50. In Asia, South Korea's Kospi rose 1.1 percent to 2,025.04 and Hong Kong's Hang Seng added 1 percent to 21,339.70. Australia's S&P/ASX 200 climbed 1.2 percent to 4,247.60. Benchmarks in Taiwan, Singapore, mainland China and Indonesia also rose.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV