TOKYO, March 12, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Universal Entertainment Corporation, and its subsidiary Aruze USA, Inc., today filed a Counterclaim against Steve Wynn, Wynn Resorts (NASDAQ: WYNN), an officer of Wynn Resorts, and the individual members of the Wynn Resorts Board, to prevent the unjust and improper redemption of shares owned by Aruze USA, Inc., at a 30 percent discount, and to seek damages, punitive damages and treble damages. Universal Entertainment is seeking a permanent injunction, declaratory relief and multiple claims for damages caused by the actions of Mr. Wynn and the Wynn Resorts Board.
The Counterclaim contends that Wynn Resorts' purported redemption violates the express language of multiple agreements between Steve Wynn and Aruze USA, and among Steve Wynn, Elaine Wynn, Wynn Resorts and Aruze USA. Further, by means of the purported redemption, Mr. Wynn and the other members of the Board seek to profit from their illegal acts in a process that was corrupt and unfair, causing Universal Entertainment and Aruze USA irreparable damages based on an unproven pretext.
Kazuo Okada, Chairman of the Board of Directors of Universal Entertainment, said, "We are taking this action to protect our investment from what we believe to be an unconscionable course of conduct perpetrated by Steve Wynn and the Wynn Resorts Board of Directors to facilitate Mr. Wynn's agenda of maintaining his absolute control over Wynn Resorts and in order to enrich himself. Our lawsuit contends that after having lost control of his previous ventures in Las Vegas, Mr. Wynn has undertaken this campaign to suppress dissenting views on the Wynn Resorts Board, particularly with regard to Wynn Resorts' unprecedented, inadequately explained and wasteful $135 million donation to the University of Macau, so that this venture would not end with the same result."Mr. Okada added, "Our Counterclaim highlights that the Wynn Resorts Board did not exercise any independent judgment or otherwise act in a manner consistent with sound corporate governance principles. Rather, the Wynn Resorts Board fell in line behind Mr. Wynn and authorized the illegal redemption of Aruze USA's shares following a hurried and incomplete investigation that lacked sufficient findings and any form of due process in accordance with appropriate governance principles and standards. We are confident in the strength of our claims and look forward to bringing them before the Court." No Legal Basis for Redemption Universal Entertainment's Counterclaim contains allegations, among others, that:
- No redemption has occurred and that there is no legal basis for the redemption.
- The stock held by Aruze USA is subject to transfer restrictions in a stockholders agreement, which preclude any redemption of Aruze USA's stock.
- Unlike most Wynn Resorts shares, Aruze USA's shares were never subject to the redemption provision of the Wynn Resorts Articles of Incorporation, as Aruze USA acquired its interest before the redemption provisions became effective.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV