The lawsuit, which was filed in federal court in San Jose, Calif., details patents related to messaging, social networking, privacy, customization and advertising.
"Yahoo! has invested substantial resources in research and development through the years, which has resulted in numerous patented inventions of technology that other companies have licensed," explained a spokesman for the Internet firm. "Unfortunately, the matter with Facebook remains unresolved and we are compelled to seek redress in federal court -- we are confident that we will prevail."Facebook expressed surprise at Yahoo!'s legal action in an email to TheStreet. "We're disappointed that Yahoo's effort to engage with us was limited to a few short phone calls and that we continue to learn of new developments about a long-time partner through the press," explained a spokesman. "We will defend ourselves vigorously against these puzzling actions." Shares of Yahoo!, which recently appointed PayPal president Scott Thompson as its CEO, were flat at $14.49 in extended trading on Monday. Facebook recently filed to go public, seeking to raise $5 billion in what would be the largest-ever tech IPO. -- Written by James Rogers in New York >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jamesjrogers. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV