The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
NEW YORK (Trefis) -- The Chinese government has decided to tackle heavy metal pollution head on as there has been a public outcry on increasing incidents of acid contamination from copper mines and drinking water being threatened by cadmium spills.
The government has decided to conduct a review of lead-related industries, which are considered the biggest pollutants, and strengthen the monitoring of pollutants from them. This comes in the wake of a heavy metal measurement plan China had issued last year to tackle five key industries, including that of lead acid batteries. The document contained specific information on 1,962 lead battery makers, including volume and discharged waste water for each one of them.
See our full analysis for Johnson Controls here.Johnson Controls (JCI) has found itself on the other side of this issue as it has been implicated by the city of Shanghai in a lead poisoning case which affected 49 children. The city has alleged that Johnson Controls and two other companies were responsible for the leak which led to increased levels of lead in the blood of these children. Their plants are believed to be operating above the specified emission limits set by the Chinese government in a bid to increase their operations and boost capacity. The government has ordered these companies to suspend their operations till results of the detailed investigation are out. Lead acid batteries are the most important operation of Johnson Control's, accounting for more than 32.8% of the stock's value.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV