The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
NEW YORK (
Trefis) -- Gaming stocks such as
We believe a lack of significant new releases in February, combined with the changing landscape of the gaming industry from retail to digital and the aging of current generation consoles, were the primary reasons behind the steep decline.
See our full analysis for
Continuously Declining Video Gaming IndustryVideo game sales remained choppy throughout February, with software and hardware sales declining by 23% and 18%, respectively. A lack of new games was the primary reason behind the decline in software sales. Though Activision Blizzard's "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3" (MW3) was the market leader in February, we believe the lead of MW3 on gaming charts better represents the lack of exciting new games rather than the continuing strength of MW3. The situation was equally bad in hardware sales. The 18% drop in hardware sales primarily reflected a sharp decline in Nintendo's Wii sales. Microsoft XBox 360, with units sales of 426,000 for the month, continues to be the market leader in gaming consoles. We expect the hardware sales figure to improve in March, as the recent launch of Sony PlayStation Vita is expected to improve the hardware sales numbers, going ahead.
Click here to find out how a company's products impact its stock price at Trefis.
Like our charts? Embed them in your own posts using the Trefis Wordpress Plugin.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV