BRISTOL, Va., March 12, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- A coal miner suffered fatal injuries Saturday evening involving a rib roll at the Kingston #2 underground mine in Fayette County, W. Va.
Jeremy Sigler, 34, of
Pool, W. Va., was struck by material from the mine's side wall during the evening shift
March 10. Other members of the section crew administered CPR before transporting him outside. Mr. Sigler was taken by ambulance to Raleigh General Hospital in
Beckley, W. Va., where he was later pronounced dead.
The Kingston #2 mine is operated by Kingston Mining, Inc., a subsidiary of Alpha Natural Resources, Inc. (NYSE: ANR) of Bristol, Va. Operations are idled under a closure order while Federal and state officials continue their investigation of the accident with the support of mine personnel. Kingston Mining is fully cooperating with the investigation.
"In this sad time our prayers and heartfelt condolences go to Mr. Sigler's family," said Charlie Bearse, president of Kingston Mining. "While the mine is idled we will work closely with the outside investigators to determine how and why the accident occurred. We are administering to his family's needs and providing counseling to his fellow miners at this time to help them deal with the loss of their coworker."
Mr. Sigler had approximately 10 years of underground mining experience and had been employed by Kingston Mining since 2004.About Alpha Natural Resources
With $7.1 billion in total revenue in 2011, Alpha Natural Resources ranks as America's second-largest coal producer by revenue and third-largest by production. Alpha is the nation's largest supplier of metallurgical coal used in the steel-making process and is a major supplier of thermal coal to electric utilities and manufacturing industries. In 2011 the company had more than 200 customers on five continents. More information about Alpha can be found on the company's Web site at www.alphanr.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV