MVC Capital, Inc. (NYSE: MVC), a publicly traded business development company that makes private equity and debt investments, today announced its financial results for the first fiscal quarter ended January 31, 2012.
As of January 31, 2012, the Company's net assets were approximately $407.6 million, or $17.04 per share, compared with net assets of approximately $419.5 million, or $17.54 per share at the beginning of the quarter and $415.9 million, or $17.33 per share, at the end of the same period last year. During the quarter, the Valuation Committee, which is comprised of three independent directors, adjusted the fair values of thirteen portfolio companies, resulting in a net decrease of approximately $10.4 million or $0.44 per share. In arriving at these determinations and consistent with the Company's valuation procedures and ASC 820, the Valuation Committee took into account a variety of factors, including the performance of the portfolio companies, the impact of changes in market multiples within certain sectors and fluctuations in currency valuations.
In the first quarter of 2012, the Company earned approximately $2.7 million in interest and dividend income , and approximately $976,000 in fee and other income, representing a decrease in total operating income of approximately $880,000 as compared to the same quarter in 2011. The decrease in operating income over the same period last year was primarily due to the repayment of investments that provided the Company with current income and a decrease in dividend income from the sale of portfolio companies.
The Company reported $1.3 million in net operating income for the first quarter, as compared to net operating income of $1.8 million for the same quarter in 2011. The Company's provision for incentive compensation was decreased by approximately $1.9 million during the quarter as a result of decreases in the valuations of certain portfolio companies.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV