Romney's Run for Alabama Is All About the Economy
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The race for Alabama is all about the economy.
Republican candidates are crisscrossing the state to pitch their messages about jobs and the economy as Alabama prepares to allocate its 50 delegates in Tuesday's primary.
It seems, though, that Alabama conservatives are less concerned about who to select and more intent on choosing the guy who can outwit President Obama on economic issues in the general election."They're more concerned about the economy, I can tell you up front," said Clay Marlow, Morgan County GOP chairman. "All you gotta do is run down any town around here, even here where we live in Decatur
Conservative evangelical voters have become synonymous with Republicans in southern states, especially after many politics experts and academics argued that a significant chunk of George W. Bush's 2004 victory depended on the group. But a crippling financial crisis and sluggish global growth since 2008 have dealt American voters a different hand to manage. Currently, former private-equity businessman Mitt Romney leads the average of major Alabama polls at 26.3%, while Newt Gingrich, Rick Santorum and Ron Paul trail at 24%, 22.7% and 7%, respectively, according to RealClearPolitics.com. Romney has struggled mightily in the two southern state contests so far as he lost South Carolina to Gingrich by 12.5 percentage points and then finished second to Gingrich in the former House speaker's home state of Georgia by 21.3 percentage points.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV