“We are proud to have been a part of the L Prize, a competition that pushed the lighting industry to new limits and that tested a technology still in its infancy,” stated Ed Crawford, CEO of Lamps, Lighting Systems and Controls for Philips Lighting North America. “The L Prize served as a catalyst to develop highly efficient LEDs and sparked a race to market a high quality 60-Watt alternative to the 60-Watt incandescent. As a result of this newly developed technology, Philips was the first company to market a commercially viable 60-Watt LED alternative. Consumers are now benefitting from these advances in lighting technology by experiencing several available LED lighting options in the marketplace that can trace their roots to the L Prize.”
“The ultimate price – versus the MSRP – of the L Prize bulb will arrive through a partnership between the manufacturer and utility partners across the country. The target price of $22, as originally outlined in the competition parameters, will be achieved through utility rebates of up to $30 through in-store purchases once the L Prize bulb is available to consumers next month.”
“At that time, consumers will have access to the most energy-efficient and brightest bulb available – lasting more than 30,000 hours and saving consumers roughly $165 over the life of the bulb.”
Additional facts for the record:
- The technological difference between the L Prize and the current available Philips 60 watt bulb is significant. There is a higher degree of complexity in achieving energy savings of 10-Watt usage (L Prize) from 12.5-Watt (current Philips AmbientLED on the market), as well as achieve higher lumens performance of 900 lumens (L Prize) to 800 lumens (current Philips AmbientLED), and extending the life cycle from 25,000 hours (current Philips AmbientLED) to 30,000 hours (L Prize).
- Philips was the first and only company to officially submit and complete L Prize testing for a 60-Watt equivalent. Since the September 2009 submission, the Philips L Prize bulb has undergone comprehensive evaluation, including performance testing conducted by independent laboratories, field assessments with utilities and other partners, long-term lumen maintenance testing and stress testing under extreme conditions.
- Every year it is estimated that more than 425 million 60-Watt incandescent light bulbs are sold in the United States alone, representing approximately 50% of the domestic incandescent light bulb market. The traditional incandescent that has been the market staple for more than a century, but only uses 10% of its energy output for light and wastes the other 90% as heat. The DOE recognized that energy efficient alternatives need to made readily available and become the new standard for Americans.
- The L Prize competition was opened to the lighting industry in 2008.
Cost savings comparison (cost of bulb + cost of energy based on $.11
- L Prize $82 (before any rebate)
- Incandescent $213
- Halogen $186
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV