- The technological difference between the L Prize and the current available Philips 60 watt bulb is significant. There is a higher degree of complexity in achieving energy savings of 10-Watt usage (L Prize) from 12.5-Watt (current Philips AmbientLED on the market), as well as achieve higher lumens performance of 900 lumens (L Prize) to 800 lumens (current Philips AmbientLED), and extending the life cycle from 25,000 hours (current Philips AmbientLED) to 30,000 hours (L Prize).
- Philips was the first and only company to officially submit and complete L Prize testing for a 60-Watt equivalent. Since the September 2009 submission, the Philips L Prize bulb has undergone comprehensive evaluation, including performance testing conducted by independent laboratories, field assessments with utilities and other partners, long-term lumen maintenance testing and stress testing under extreme conditions.
- Every year it is estimated that more than 425 million 60-Watt incandescent light bulbs are sold in the United States alone, representing approximately 50% of the domestic incandescent light bulb market. The traditional incandescent that has been the market staple for more than a century, but only uses 10% of its energy output for light and wastes the other 90% as heat. The DOE recognized that energy efficient alternatives need to made readily available and become the new standard for Americans.
- The L Prize competition was opened to the lighting industry in 2008.
- Cost savings comparison (cost of bulb + cost of energy based on $.11 per kWh):
- L Prize $82 (before any rebate)
- Incandescent $213
- Halogen $186
Philips Lighting North America Statement: In Response To Various And Erroneous Media Reports About The Retail Cost Of The L-Prize Light Bulb
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts