Trading in Green Mountain Coffee Roasters has been volatile since Greenlight Capital hedge fund manager David Einhorn, famous for his short positions, revealed a major short position in Green Mountain last year and laid out what he views as accounting irregularities at the coffee company in a Powerpoint presentation titled "GAAP-uccino."
The once go-go momentum stock tanked, but also rebounded as part of the "junk" rally of 2012, which saw stock market dogs from First Solar (FSLR) to Netflix (NFLX) rise sharply in January and February.
The latest volatile trade in Green Mountain has to be viewed in the framework of its big run-up this year. Shares started the year at under $45 and had been as high as $69 earlier this month, Even after the 16% selloff on Friday, shares are still up 17% this year.With much of the Green Mountain shareholder base concentrated in institutional funds that do not change positions quickly, mass profit-taking on the negative Starbucks headline from investors who bought after the massive slide in 2011 is no surprise. The real issues for Green Mountain will come well after Friday's bad day if Astrachan is right. When it comes to Green Mountain, he has been on the right side of the trade before. -- Written by Eric Rosenbaum from New York. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Eric Rosenbaum. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Eric Rosenbaum. Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV