NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Green Mountain Coffee Roasters (GMCR) shares got a caffeinated wake-up call from Starbucks (SBUX) on Friday after the Seattle coffee giant announced plans to roll out the "Verismo," a direct challenger to the popular Keurig machines.
Green Mountain shares were trading at $52.22, down $10.18, or 16.3% at midday Friday. Starbucks shares were up $1.19, or 2.4% to $51.56.
Green Mountain shares, which have a 52-week range of $39.42 to $115.98, had been steadily recovering after falling below $40 in the fall. But the Verismo is the second piece of bad news for Green Mountain in six months.
The shares took a hit in October when noted short-seller David Einhorn revealed he was betting against the company over questions about its issuance of stock, its expenditures and how it had accounted for past acquisitions.The secret of Green Mountain's success has been the single-serving "pod" brewing machine, the Keurig. The Waterbury, Vt., company also distributes Starbucks coffee for use in the Keurig, which is popular at homes and in offices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV