Host Hotels & Restorts
Luxury hotel firm Host Hotels & Resorts (HST) own more than 120 properties spread throughout the world. The firm is structured as a real estate investment trust, a setup that means that the company is obligated to pay out the vast majority of its income to shareholders in the form of dividends.
As a result, the firm announced a 20% dividend increase yesterday, bringing its payout to 6 cents -- that's a 1.56% yield.It's good to think of REITs as income vehicles rather than real estate investment vehicles. Typically, landlord REITs enter into long-term triple-net leases that strip most of the market risk away from them and throw predictable income off to owners. That's not exactly the case with Host Hotels. Because the firm owns hotels itself, it's much more correlated with the economy than a typical landlord REIT would be. Lately, that hasn't been a particularly good thing. While Host has made leaps and bounds at improving its financial situation following the crash, it still hasn't posted a fiscal profit since. Investors looking for REIT exposure should stick with the higher yields and lower risks of commercial landlord REITs first. Host is one of the top holdings at Ken Heebner's Capital Growth Management. To see these dividend plays in action, check out the Dividend Stocks for the Week portfolio on Stockpickr. And if you haven't already done so, join Stockpickr today to create your own dividend portfolio. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV