BALTIMORE ( Stockpickr) -- Dividend junkies rejoice: In the last year, the S&P 500 has seen its total dividend payout increase by 16.4%. Even the staid stocks of the Dow have ratcheted their dividends 12% higher in the past 12 months. Those are some impressive increases for the folks who rely on dividend income.
That's even more impressive when you compare the payouts on dividend stocks with the negative real yields flight-to-quality investments like treasuries are offering right now.
In years past, plenty of investors have ignored dividends, preferring instead to look for companies that could offer up big capital gains. Now, with the crash of 2008 still somewhat fresh in investors' memories, people are realizing that dividend stocks can be an attractive place to allocate their portfolios. Better yet, folks are starting to realize that dividends and capital gains aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, they go hand in hand.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV