Fijian Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama Announces Constitutional Consultations Process
SUVA, Fiji, March 9, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Fijian Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama announced Fiji's plan to formulate a new constitution, laying out the basic principles and timetable for the Constitutional Consultation process.
The twelve-month process includes a civic education programme for Fijians in urban, rural and maritime areas, and will consist of meetings throughout the nation in which all Fijians are urged to actively contribute their ideas. A five-member Constitutional Commission will oversee the process and a Constituent Assembly will discuss, debate and approve the new Constitution.
"The consultation process is guided by universally recognized principles and values that are non-negotiable," Prime Minister Bainimarama said. These principles include:
- A common and equal citizenry;
- A secular state;
- The removal of systemic corruption;
- An independent judiciary;
- Elimination of discrimination;
- Good and transparent governance;
- Social justice;
- One person, one vote, one value;
- The elimination of ethnic voting;
- Proportional representation; and
- A voting age of 18.
During the months of May to July, a civic education programme will be conducted to highlight issues for Fijians to think about before they make their voices heard to the Constitutional Commission. This process will be conducted both in English and in the vernacular languages.From July to September, consultations will take place under the leadership of the Constitutional Commission. Transportation will be provided to Fijians beyond the reach of the public transportation system. The Chairperson of the Constitutional Commission will be Professor Yash Ghai, internationally known constitutional and human rights expert. Two of the three distinguished Fijian members of the Constitutional Commission include:
- Taufa Vakatale, the first female Deputy Prime Minister of Fiji; and
- Satendra Nandan, Academic writer, former Member of Parliament.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts