NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- With an eerie quiet on the U.S. deals front, takeover premiums have been wiped from many companies in the M&A rumor mill. But for some highly-shorted companies, valuations may be at a point where takeover interest is more likely, making for a risky short even if fundamentals continue to deteriorate.
In a screen of heavily shorted stocks with low enterprise values relative to earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization, information provider Data Explorers was able to identify 61 companies with a short interest over 10% and swooning valuations. Data Explorers screened around the world for highly shorted companies with low or falling valuations and a market cap above $1 billion.
"Companies which have seen a fall in their share prices in the last year implies profits for short sellers, yet their low valuations could make them a potential acquisition target. Should this happen, a short seller would be exposed to any takeover premium offered by bidders," wrote Data Explorers in a March 3 report.
Data Explorers arrived at over 60 names scattered across the world, however five stand out as battleground stocks either because of their valuation, short interest or previous M&A speculation.Here's a look at three shorted stocks that may be too cheap to sell, according to Data Explorers For more on deal activity and trends, see
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV