The 10 Richest Colleges in America
Eighth-richest: Columbia University
Endowment funds last year: $7.8 billion ($7,789,578,000)
Change from previous year: 19.5%
Students last fall: 28,221
Undergraduate tuition: $59,208 for tuition, room and board for the 2011-12 academic year for New York residents.
New York is an expensive place for any purpose, and Columbia University can claim the most expensive year of undergraduate cost of attendance on our list. That has much to do with the high price and scarcity of real estate in the Big Apple, and the school's efforts to expand and develop its campus have been fraught with obstacles and local opposition.
The school's massive 17-acre, $6.3-billion expansion plan finally had to get permission from the state supreme court to proceed, in a ruling that allowed the university to force property holders to sell it the required land in late 2010.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV