If you spend any time on a subway or at an airport you'll see Beats-branded headphones all over the place.
The high-end headphones, released in 2008, are the creation of acclaimed hip-hop producer and rapper Dr. Dre. The underlying technology is now also being used as audio components for branded H-P (HPQ) laptops and the HTC (HTC) smartphones.
Dre is far from the only hip-hop artist who has struck gold as a businessman.50 Cent pulled down a quick $100 million after Coca-Cola (KO), bought Glaceau, the maker of Vitamin Water, for $4.2 billion in cash in 2007; he'd earned an ownership share through a 2004 endorsement deal. Akon's "bling" is actually from a diamond mine he owns in South Africa. In 1998, P. Diddy started a clothing line, Sean John, and has since launched a fragrance and restaurant chain and inked a variety of endorsement and marketing deals.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV