1. Make sure you get an employment agreement in writing. A lack of written contracts ranked high on the list of small businesses' mistakes, according to a recent survey the firm conducted. 2. Develop an employee handbook. 3. Create policies that clearly define and prohibit discrimination in the workplace. For example, establish a no-tolerance policy for racist, sexist and classist actions and/or language. 4. Implement a sexual harassment policy that prohibits any unwelcome conduct or advance that is intimidating, hostile or offensive. 5. Familiarize yourself with the legal requirements of the Employee Medical Leave Act. 6. Provide a workers compensation program, which can help a small business avoid costly lawsuits and out-of-pocket expenses.In our third installment of our small-business hiring series, we speak with a handful of small businesses in a variety of industries that are optimistic about 2012 and hiring because of it.
7 Businesses Hiring This Minute
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.