BETHESDA, Md., March 8, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Spherix Incorporated (NASDAQ: SPEX) – an innovator in biotechnology for therapy in diabetes, metabolic syndrome and atherosclerosis, and providers of technical and regulatory consulting services to food, supplement, biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies – announces that Dr. Robert Lodder, Company President, will be making two presentations at the Pittcon Conference to be held March 11-15 in Orlando, FL, at the Orlando Convention Center. Dr. Lodder's presentations discuss two of Spherix's pipeline products and potential indications for use in treating heart disease, dyslipidemia and metabolic syndrome. They are:
- March 12, 2012 – "Molecular Factor Computing (MFC) of the Extent of Atherosclerosis in D‑Tagatose Treatment," in Room 308D at 3:35 p.m.
- March 15, 2012 – "Measurement of Lipoproteins in Treatment with SPX-106," in Room 308C at 10:15 a.m.
MFC uses new high speed integrated computational imaging (ICI) techniques to simplify trials and measure arterial characteristics like reduction in atherosclerotic lesion area with D-tagatose administration quickly and accurately. Other blood vessel anomalies like abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA), which is often correlated to atherosclerosis, can also be quickly identified and measured. In genetically engineered mice, substitution of tagatose in the diet for sucrose significantly reduced lesion area (p<0.001) in mice over a 16-week study. MFC of macrophage activity and collagen content was also conducted (see Figure 1).
Lipoprotein measurements conducted using fast protein liquid chromatography (FPLC), enzymatic methods, near-infrared and infrared spectrometry show statistically significant reductions (p<0.05) in VLDL, LDL and HDL when SPX106 is administered over 8 weeks with D-tagatose. LDL and oxLDL are correlated to expression of tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-1 (TIMP-1), an endogenous inhibitor of MMPs, in human vascular endothelial cells.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV