Slim, Buffett, Gates Top Richest List
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The upper echelon of the top 1% was thrust into focus this week when Forbes presented its 2012 list of the world's wealthiest individuals.
This year, the total number of billionaires expanded to 1,226, an all-time high. Despite this growth, however, very little change could be seen at the very top of the list. For a third year, America Movil (AMX) head Carlos Slim, Microsoft (MSFT) founder Bill Gates and Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A) chairman Warren Buffett secured the first, second, and third places respectively.
Both Slim and Buffett recorded losses. Slim, who last year boasted a fortune totaling $74 billion has seen his wealth dip to $69 billion, while Buffett clocked in at approximately $44 billion, a decline from last year's $50 billion.
Gates, on the other hand, saw his wealth increase to $61 billion from $56 billion in 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV