The firm, TRC Capital, has also made mini-tender offers for companies including US Steel (X) and Marathan Petroleum (MPC), which also recommended against. Such offers are for less than 5% of a company's outstanding stock and therefore are subject to less stringent oversight by the Securities and Exchange Commission.
|Ford is urging shareholders to reject a mini-tender offer by a Canadian firm that specializes in such attempts.|
In Ford's case, the offer price was $11.70, about 4.5% below the $12.25 closing price on Feb. 28, which is approximately when the offer commenced. In mid-afternoon trading Thursday, Ford shares were up 23 cents at $12.47."Bidders make mini-tender offers at below-market prices, hoping that they will catch investors off-guard if the investors do not compare the offer price to the current market price," the SEC has said. In a press release, Ford noted that the offers can be terminated for a variety of reasons and that, because SEC oversight is limited, "mini-tender offers do not provide investors with the same level of protections as provided by larger tender offers under United States securities laws." TRC's offer is for up to 8 million shares, about a fifth of 1% of Ford's outstanding shares. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/tedreednc. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed >To submit a news tip, email: email@example.com. Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV