A lawsuit may still be avoided as several of the parties may try to settle out of court. This could lead to cheaper prices for e-books, potentially, said sources close to the situation.
The story was first profiled in The Wall Street Journal.
Including Apple, five book publishers are also included in the potential lawsuit. Simon & Schuster, a division of CBS (CBS); Penguin Group, a division of Pearson (PSO); French book publisher Hachette Book Group; Macmillan, a division of Verlagsgruppe Georg von Holtzbrinck GmbH; and HarperCollins Publishers, a division of News Corp. (NWSA).E-book pricing has also been an issue for Apple in Europe as well as the United States. In late 2011, the European Commission launched a probe into whether Apple and these same five publishing houses raised prices for e-books illegally in 2010. Apple couldn't immediately be reached for comment for this story. Apple shares were up 1.3% in Thursday trading to $537.57. Interested in more on Apple? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/commodity_bull. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV