Top 10 Established Dividend ETFs
NEW YORK (ETF Digest) -- This posting features a comprehensive review of the established dividend ETF sector. In this view we feature those dividend related ETFs that have more conservative constituents and have been in existence for longer than a few years. There are dozens within the category with more on the way as current western demographics with an aging population show investors gravitate to safer dividend and income sectors. To simplify matters for investors we've whittled choices down to 10. The issues chosen represent a broad cross section of domestic, global, overseas, real estate (REITs) and other sectors from a variety of sponsors. Doing so makes sorting through the sector more manageable for most investors.
Each category is filtered by placing importance on high assets under management, liquidity and/or strategies that make a difference being the most critical tests. Newer issues tied to new indexes with long (over 5 years) of historical data may be worth investigating, featuring and using as alternatives if necessary.
As equity market volatility has increased over the past two years combined with previously noted changing demographics there has been a large shift from conventional equity sectors to dividend and income sectors. This trend may continue for a longer period than anyone can expect.
Remember just searching for the highest dividend yields can lead to troubled sectors where the ability to maintain the dividend may become questionable.We feature a technical view of conditions from monthly chart views. Simplistically, we recommend longer-term investors stay on the right side of the 12 month simple moving average. When prices are above the moving average, stay long, and when below remain in cash or short. Some more interested in a fundamental approach may not care so much about technical issues preferring instead to buy when prices are perceived as a bargain and sell for other reasons when high; but, this is not our approach. Premium members to the ETF Digest receive added signals when markets become extended such as DeMark triggers to exit overbought/oversold conditions. #10: SPDR Dow Jones International Real Estate ETF (RWX) RWX follows the Dow Jones Global ex-U.S. Real Estate Securities Index which consists of REITs in developed and emerging markets. It was launched in December 2006. AUM equal $2.5 billion while average daily trading volume is over 588K shares. As of early March 2012 the annual dividend yield is 3.68% and YTD performance 14.67%. The one year return was -4.86%. The poor performance is the result of chaos overseas particularly within the eurozone.
RWX Top Ten Holdings & Weightings
Data as of First Quarter 2012
- Westfield Group (WDC): 7.08%
- Unibail-Rodamco SE (UL): 6.21%
- Brookfield Asset Management, Inc. (BAM): 6.16%
- Mitsui Fudosan Co., Ltd. (8801): 5.89%
- Land Securities Group PLC (LAND): 2.97%
- Hang Lung Properties Ltd. (00101): 2.96%
- Link Real Estate Investment Trust (00823): 2.95%
- Westfield Retail Trust (WRT): 2.75%
- Hongkong Land Holdings Ltd. (H78): 2.41%
- Dz Bk Ag ([Wts/Rts]): 2.34%
- Simon Property Group Inc (SPG): 10.43%
- Public Storage (PSA): 5.38%
- Equity Residential (EQR): 4.66%
- HCP Inc (HCP): 4.65%
- Ventas Inc (VTR): 4.16%
- Boston Properties Inc (BXP): 4.03%
- ProLogis Inc (PLD): 3.62%
- Vornado Realty Trust (VNO): 3.52%
- AvalonBay Communities Inc (AVB): 3.38%
- Host Hotels & Resorts Inc (HST): 2.87%
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV