3 Things You Should Know About Small Business: Mar. 8
NEW YORK (MainStreet) -- What's happening in small business today?
1. Small businesses are pitching the Republican National Convention. Tampa Bay's small businesses are pitching for Republican National Convention dollars, according to the Tampa Bay Times. More than 300 small businesses attended a local forum this week looking for opportunities to get involved with the convention, set to take place in late August.
The businesses have until the end of March to register as part of the convention's Small Business Network. About 400 have signed up so far.Between visitors occupying hotel rooms and booking events, the convention is expected to bring about $175 million in direct spending to the area. 2. Some are using Droid, not the iPhone, for business. There's been a lot of talk this week linking small-business owners to their Apple (AAPL) technology, but one expert makes the case for the Android phone. Regardless of which smartphone you choose, owners should make sure to review the options and capabilities to ensure it fits their business needs. But there are a few perks for owning an Android: The phones are more affordable, and there are more model choices; its open-source software makes it easy to create a business app; it may have better security; and it won't punish you for using an older phone. 3. The House may vote on capital formation bills; up next, taxes. The House of Representatives is expected to vote today on a handful of recently introduced bills designed to open pathways to capital for small businesses. The package is expected to go forward with bipartisan support, according to the Small Business & Entrepreneurship Council. In the next few weeks, the House will move to tax issues, focusing "on a major tax relief initiative for small businesses," the council says. The House proposal calls for a 20% tax deduction for businesses employing fewer than 500 people. "Such a tax cut will free up resources for small-business owners, which they can invest in their businesses and hire needed employees. With health coverage, energy and other costs on the rise, small-business owners are getting squeezed. The business environment remains challenging and accessing capital is difficult. Indeed, with President Obama proposing a major (and SBE Council would argue needed) tax cut for corporations, small businesses also need tax relief. SBE Council looks forward to House action on this tax proposal," the council says. Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York. To contact Laurie Kulikowski, send an email to: Laurie.Kulikowski@thestreet.com. To follow Laurie Kulikowski on Twitter, go to: http://twitter.com/#!/LKulikowski
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV