Columbia Laboratories, Inc. (Nasdaq: CBRX) today reported financial results for the three- and twelve-month periods ended December 31, 2011.
Fourth Quarter Financial Highlights
- Total net revenues were $6.4 million for the fourth quarter of 2011, as compared to $14.9 million for the fourth quarter of 2010. The 2010 quarter included $8.8 million for the amortization of the $34 million gain on the sale of the progesterone assets in July 2010 to Watson Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NYSE:WPI) (“Watson”); amortization concluded in the second quarter of 2011.
- Net product revenues were $5.4 million in the fourth quarter of 2011 and $5.3 million in the fourth quarter of 2010. A 53% increase in revenues from Merck Serono S.A. (“Merck Serono”) for international sales of CRINONE ® 8% (progesterone gel) in 2011 was offset by the absence of sales of STRIANT ® (testosterone buccal system) and products manufactured for Lil' Drug Store Products, Inc. (“LDS”).
- Total operating expenses decreased to $1.8 million in the fourth quarter of 2011, compared to $4.0 million in the fourth quarter of 2010.
- Net loss for the fourth quarter of 2011 improved to $1.0 million, (-$0.01 per basic and diluted share), compared to a net loss of $4.6 million (-$0.06 per basic and diluted share) in the fourth quarter of 2010.
- Cash, equivalents and short-term investments at December 31, 2011, were $25.1 million.
2011 Financial Highlights
- Total net revenues were $43.1 million in 2011, compared to $45.7 million in 2010. A decline in net product revenues was partially offset by increases in royalties and other revenues.
- Net product revenues were $18.0 million in 2011, compared to $27.0 million in 2010, primarily as a result of the transfer of responsibility for domestic progesterone product sales to Watson and the absence of sales in 2011 to LDS.
- Net product revenues from Merck Serono for international sales of CRINONE 8% increased 41% and net product revenues from Watson for U.S. sales of CRINONE increased by $1.2 million over 2010 levels, both driven primarily by higher volume.
- In-market sales of CRINONE in 2011 were approximately $65 million worldwide, up 27% compared to 2010.
- Total operating expenses decreased 76% to $8.4 million in 2011, compared to $35.5 million in 2010.
- Net income was $20.5 million ($0.24 per basic and $0.22 per diluted share), compared to a net loss of $21.8 million (-$0.30 per basic and diluted share) in 2010.
“Revenues from Watson and Merck Serono grew nicely in 2011 as our partners continued to drive demand for CRINONE 8% in infertility in their respective markets. Product sales in the fourth quarter were the highest for the year, and we look for continued growth in 2012,” said Frank Condella, Columbia's president and chief executive officer. “We are disappointed that the FDA returned a complete response letter for the new drug application for progesterone vaginal gel 8% in the preterm birth indication, but we remain encouraged that our partner Watson has requested a meeting with the FDA with the goal of establishing a viable path forward for the product. We maintain our financial interests in the preterm birth opportunity, and would receive significant upside if Watson is successful in obtaining regulatory approval for that indication. Meanwhile, we reduced our workforce to enable Columbia to be cash flow neutral-to-positive beginning in the second quarter of 2012. We are also in the process of engaging an investment banker, and plan to evaluate potential strategic transactions that will add value for our stockholders.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV