NEW YORK (Stockpickr) -- After a gut-wrenching industry downturn in 2009, the auto industry began to stage a remarkable recovery in 2010, and investors began to look further down the road to even more gains. Almost every company shed a huge amount of fixed costs and looked poised for record profits as industry sales volumes slowly rebounded.
Shares of Ford Motor (F), for example, quickly surged to nearly $20 by early 2011. And GM's (GM) late-2010 IPO saw such a hearty reception that investors scored a quick 20% gain in just a few months. Many auto parts suppliers also saw their shares rise up to fresh post-crisis highs.
And then, the bottom fell out -- again. Ford, GM and those suppliers have seen their stocks fall 30% or even 40% from those peaks over the last year as investors suddenly lost their enthusiasm for this resurgent sector.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV