Wells Fargo analyst Jason Maynard also cut his estimates on Pandora and pushed monetization further out, but didn't downgrade the shares.
"The transition from desktop to mobile is going well, perhaps too well, as monetization is lagging the huge growth in listener hours and CAC. Mobile listening accounts for over 70% of total hours, and unfortunately still has low CPM's relative to the desktop web," Maynard wrote in his note. He lowered his earnings estimates for 2013 to a loss of 16 cents a share, down from a loss of 1 cent. He did raise his revenue estimate to $410 million from $405 million. He cut his price target to $15-$18 from $21-$23 and kept his outperform rating.
The Internet radio company reported a loss of 3 cents a share on revenue of $81.3 million for the three months ended in January. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters were looking for a loss of 2 cents a share on revenue of $83.1 million.
In addition to the earnings miss, Pandora provided weaker-than-expected first-quarter guidance, which analysts are attributing to weak advertising sales. Pandora said it expects first-quarter revenue to be between $72 million and $75 million. Analysts had been expecting first-quarter revenue of about $86 million.Pandora shares were sharply lwoer in Wednesday trading, down 24.9% to $10.72. Interested in more on Pandora? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/commodity_bull. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV