NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Voice-recognition service provider Nuance Communications (NUAN) is buying medical transcription and speech editing services company Transcend Services (TRCR) for $300 million.
Nuance will pay $29.50 a share in cash for Transcend Services, which represents more than a 40% premium to the company's shares as of Tuesday close.
With Transcend, Nuance will look to add to its presence the market for voice transcription services for hospitals in the U.S. by offering voice-enabled ways to manage clinical documentation. The company says that the deal will add between $140 million and $150 million in revenue in the fiscal year 2013, or up to 9 cents in non-GAAP earnings per share.
On news of the deal, Transcend Services rose over 40% to $29.40 in pre-market trading, while Nuance shares rose nearly 2% to $25.99.Last fall, Nuance bought app-maker Swype for $100 million. In June, it bought speech regognition software maker SVOX and also bought software maker Equitrac for $157 million. "The acquisition of Transcend will expand the delivery of our innovative voice and Clinical Language Understanding solutions especially to small- and mid-size hospitals," said Nuance executive vice president Janet Dillione of the deal in a press release. -- Written by Antoine Gara in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV