American Safety Insurance Holdings, Ltd. Reports Fourth Quarter And Year End Financial Results
American Safety Insurance Holdings, Ltd. (NYSE:ASI) today reported a net loss of $6.9 million, or $(0.67) per diluted share, for the 2011 fourth quarter, compared to net earnings of $10.6 million, or $0.99 per diluted share, for the same period in 2010. Net earnings for the year ended December 31, 2011, were $10.8 million, or $1.01 per diluted share, compared to $30.5 million, or $2.87 per diluted share, for the year ended 2010.
Financial highlights for the quarter included 1 :
- Gross written premiums decreased 8% to $68.1 million
- Total revenues increased 3% to $68.5 million
- Net earned premiums increased 5% to $60.4 million
- The combined ratio was 124.2% compared to 101.4%
Financial highlights for the year included 1 :
- Gross written premiums increased 8% to $298.5 million
- Total revenues increased 16% to $278.5 million
- Net earned premiums increased 16% to $232.9 million
- The combined ratio was 112.0% compared to 100.3%
- Cash flow from operations increased by 4% to $61.9 million
- Book value increased 6% to $30.80 per diluted share
1 All comparisons are with the same period last year unless stated otherwise.Fourth Quarter Results E&S gross written premiums totaled $35.8 million compared to $37.9 million, ART gross written premiums were $19.1 million compared to $21.8 million, and Assumed Reinsurance gross written premiums were $13.2 million compared to $14.0 million. The increase in total revenue to $68.5 million was driven by increased earned premiums of $3.1 million, partially offset by lower investment income. Investment income was $7.7 million as increased invested assets were offset by lower yields.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV