Phoenix Home Sales Pick Up in January
Buyers paying cash represented 45.6% of all January sales, up from 41.0 % the month before and down from 46% a year earlier. January's cash buyers paid a median $97,700, up from $94,900 the month before and up 10% from $88,854 a year earlier.
Distressed property sales dropped to 52.1% of all January resale activity -- the lowest level for any month since the figure was 48.2% in June 2008. Distressed sales are made up of sales of foreclosed properties, as well as "short sales," where the sale price falls short of what was owed on the property.
Foreclosure resales, defined as homes that had been foreclosed on in the prior 12 months, fell to 36.3% of January resales -- the lowest level since May 2008. January's figure was down from 37.7% the month before and 54.5% a year earlier. The peak level for foreclosure resales was 66.2% in March 2009.
Short sales represented an estimated 15.8% of January's resale activity, down from 17.2% the prior month but up from an estimated 12.9% a year ago.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV