- The format with the most listeners nationwide per week according to Scarborough, Adult Contemporary attracts slightly more democrats than republicans, 39% democrat and 34% republican respectively.
- Surprisingly, with the exception of Alternative Rock, all Rock-oriented radio formats attract more republicans than democrats. Classic Rock, Active Rock and Album Oriented Rock all attract more republican listeners.
- All Urban and Spanish-language radio formats attract a decidedly higher number of democrats versus republicans. Gospel and Urban AC have the highest democratic listener base, with 64% and 61%, respectively.
- Religious and News/Talk/Information formats have the highest percentage of republican listeners among popular radio formats. The Contemporary Christian format has the highest percentage of republican listeners at 46%; News/Talk/Information has a listener base of 44% republicans.
- However, public radio tends to skew more democratic. Public radio listeners who identify themselves as democrats make up the audience while 32% of the audience identify with republican ideologies.
- Country music, the format carried on the most stations nationally, skews more republican than democrat, with 41% of its listeners identifying themselves as republicans. Only 32% of country music radio listeners identify themselves as democrats.
- The music formats with listeners who characterized themselves as frequent voters includes Album Adult Alternative, Classic Rock and Urban AC, all with more than 60% of listeners classified as frequent voters.
Radio Connects Political Candidates To Voters
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts