Updated from 9:33 a.m. EST to provide rumors about launch date in the fifth paragraph.
CNET broke the story that the new iPad will be called "iPad HD," as Apple highlights the device's high-definition screen.
This is a little bit of a break from Apple's naming scheme, as it has traditionally named its iPhone and iPad lines with a number, not with highlights of its feature-set. The new iPad is thought to have Retina Display, currently only available on the iPhone. This would give the screen double the pixels, and make images much clearer than they already are.It is also expected that the new iPad will also have Long Term Evolution (LTE) capability, and be able to run on high-speed networks from Verizon (VZ) and AT&T (T). Verizon is teasing the iPad by saying "Something Is Coming" on its Web site. Apple blog 9to5Mac noted that the next version of the iPad will be available for sale on March 16. It had been previously rumored that the iPad would be available for sale on March 9, just two days after the launch. Apple shares were lower Tuesday, off 1% to $527.77. Interested in more on Apple? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices. -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/commodity_bull. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV