iRobot Corp. (NASDAQ: IRBT), a leader in delivering robotic technology-based solutions, received a $1.5 million order, funded by the Joint Improvised Explosive Device Defeat Organization (JIEDDO), for more than 100 of the company’s model 110 FirstLook™ robots. Since its introduction last year, the iRobot 110 FirstLook has undergone extensive testing and demonstrations with the customer. All robots under this order have been delivered and will take part in an operational assessment this spring.
The iRobot 110 FirstLook robot can survive 15-foot drops onto concrete and overcome obstacles as high as seven inches. (Photo: Business Wire)
FirstLook is a small, light and throwable robot. It is ideal for a wide range of infantry and special operations missions, including building clearing, raids and other close-in scenarios. With four built-in cameras, FirstLook provides multi-direction situational awareness while keeping the operator out of harm’s way.
FirstLook possesses a unique set of capabilities. While it weighs just five pounds, it is robust enough to survive 15-foot drops, overcomes obstacles as high as seven inches and automatically self-rights when flipped over. Future capabilities include two-way audio communication and digital mesh networking, which will allow multiple robots to relay radio communications over greater distances.
“iRobot has received very positive feedback from the field about FirstLook’s capabilities, and we are excited about the advantages this game-changing robot will provide to our troops,” said Tim Trainer, interim general manager of iRobot’s Military Robots business unit. “Similar to how iRobot’s PackBot and SUGV robots changed the way explosive ordnance disposal missions are conducted, we feel FirstLook will change how infantry and special operations missions are performed in the years ahead.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV