Akorn, Inc. (NASDAQ: AKRX), a niche generic pharmaceutical company, today reported financial results for the fourth quarter and year ended December 31, 2011.
Raj Rai, Chief Executive Officer commented, “We had a strong fourth quarter as a result of our ability to re-launch products that have been impacted by the industry-wide drug shortages as well as favorable market conditions for certain approved products. We expect similar trends to continue in 2012 and our challenge will be in successfully maneuvering through the shortages while addressing capacity constraints at our plants. We expect 2012 to be another strong year and will continue building and expanding our infrastructure to support growth. Key focus areas for the Company include: expanding manufacturing and R&D capacities, adding a dedicated hospital sales force, and integrating the Kilitch assets to broaden our global reach.”
2011 Key Highlights and Accomplishments
Tenth consecutive quarter of growth in core revenue, adjusted EBITDA
and gross margin. Akorn’s core business consists of the ophthalmic,
hospital drugs & injectables and contract services segments.
- Core business revenue growth of 77% over the prior year quarter and annual 2011 core revenue growth of 69% over the prior year.
- Expanded our consolidated annual gross margins from 50% in 2010 to 58% in 2011 and ended the year with fourth quarter 2011 consolidated gross margins of 60%.
- Completed the first full year of product development from new R&D center established in early 2010. Completed the development of 30 ANDAs and filed 22.
Raised $120 million in a convertible debt offering with the proceeds
earmarked for business development.
- Acquired Advanced Vision Research (“AVR”), a leading OTC ophthalmic player in the dry eye market.
- Acquired three niche, branded injectable products from H. Lundbeck A/S (“Lundbeck”).
- Additionally, acquired 4 approved products: 3 NDAs and 1 ANDA, and in-licensed 2 products in development.
- Entered into agreement to acquire certain assets of Kilitch Drugs (India) Limited to expand the Company’s capacity and capabilities in sterile injectables. The acquisition closed on February 28, 2012.
- Acquired a minority stake in Aciex Therapeutics Inc., an ophthalmic drug development company with a focus on developing novel therapeutics to treat front-of-eye diseases, and signed a global licensing and manufacturing agreement for one of Aciex’s lead products under development.
Consolidated revenue for the fourth quarter of 2011 was $42.6 million, up 77% over the prior year quarter’s consolidated revenue of $24.0 million. The increase in consolidated revenue was driven by the initial launch and the relaunch of a number of injectable and ophthalmic products, the AVR and Lundbeck acquisitions, and organic growth of established products, offset by decreases in contract services revenue.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV