One of the disputes centers on claims made by Richards that he and his associates own large stock holdings in Keryx and Aeterna. Richards often cites those holdings in his Seeking Alpha articles as proof that perifosine is an effective cancer therapy.
Private Wealth Fund isn't a shareholder of Aeterna or Keryx, according to Bloomberg data that compiles such information on publicly traded companies. In fact, Private Wealth Fund doesn't show up at all as a stock fund, according to Bloomberg. It's not known if Richards owns stock in the companies through a personal account.
Aeterna has no information on Private Wealth Fund as an investor in the company and its executives don't know Richards, according to Aeterna spokesman Paul Burroughs.
Keryx didn't respond to questions about Richards or Private Wealth Fund.In the March 2 article, Richards says his biotech consultant, "Dr. Williams" -- no first name or affiliation are disclosed -- owns 1.2 million shares of Aeterna. "We value his opinion immensely and his track record is impeccable," Richards writes of Williams. Williams doesn't show up as an Aeterna investor, according to Bloomberg. Any holder of 1.2 million shares of Aeterna today would be its second-largest shareholder, right behind RCM Capital Management's 1.4 million Aeterna shares, Bloomberg data show. Richards, in his March 2 article, claims that another of his consultants, "well-respected" surgical oncologist Dr. Fred Wurlitzer, owns about 1 million shares of Aeterna because "he firmly believes in the success of perifosine." Wurlitzer doesn't show up as an Aeterna shareholder, per Bloomberg. "Whether Williams or Wurlitzer own
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV