AMAG Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMAG) a biopharmaceutical company focused on the development and commercialization of a therapeutic iron compound to treat iron deficiency anemia, today reported unaudited consolidated financial results for the fourth quarter and year ended December 31, 2011. As of December 31, 2011, the company’s cash, cash equivalents and investments totaled approximately $230 million.
- Total revenues for the year ended December 31, 2011 were $61.2 million, of which $52.1 million were net product revenues from Feraheme® (ferumoxytol) Injection for intravenous (IV) use. Feraheme net product revenues for the year included a $3.0 million favorable change in estimated Medicaid reserves to reflect AMAG’s actual claims experience since launch, which the company recognized in the third quarter of 2011. For the fourth quarter, total revenues were $14.9 million, of which $12.8 million were Feraheme net product revenues.
- Total Feraheme provider demand for 2011 was approximately 92,000 grams 1, nearly all of which was for use in the non-dialysis setting for patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD), representing a 38% increase in non-dialysis provider demand over 2010. Feraheme non-dialysis provider demand for the fourth quarter of 2011 was approximately 16% percent higher than the fourth quarter of 2010.
- AMAG is continuing to work with Jefferies & Company, Inc. to identify and evaluate various strategies to enhance stockholder value, including a potential sale of the company, and leverage AMAG’s core assets – Feraheme, AMAG’s commercial and drug development infrastructure, and the company’s cash balance.
“We are pleased with the progress that we are making in the strategic evaluation of our business and in our efforts to re-establish the growth of Feraheme in 2012,” said Frank Thomas, chief operating officer and interim chief executive officer of AMAG. “As we work to enhance value for our stockholders, we must grow our top line while operating as a leaner, more nimble organization to preserve our financial strength. We believe that the key commercial initiatives being implemented by a new leadership team, coupled with the discipline to manage our business to cash flow breakeven this year, will position us for success on both fronts in 2012.”
Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2011 Financial Results (unaudited)Total revenues for the quarter ended December 31, 2011 were $14.9 million as compared to $17.2 million for the same period in 2010. Total revenues for the year ended December 31, 2011 were $61.2 million as compared to $66.2 million for the same period in 2010. The decreases in revenues in 2011 over the comparable 2010 periods were primarily attributable to the decline in the company’s revenues from dialysis organizations largely as a result of the January 1, 2011 implementation of the new Medicare prospective payment system for end-stage renal disease patients, also known as the “bundle,” offset, in part, by a $3.0 million favorable change in estimated Medicaid reserves.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV