NEW YORK ( TheStreet Ratings) -- Each month, the ETF Industry Association) analyzes the assets under management and the net cash flow data for a growing list of U.S. exchange-traded funds. The net cash inflow of $42.7 billion in the first two months of 2012 is a record for the first two months of any calendar year.
As more long-term investors and speculative traders learn about ETFs the assets managed within these funds continues to grow. At $1.2 trillion as of Feb. 29th, the assets under management in exchange-traded products, including both exchange-traded funds and exchange-traded notes, has grown by 14% over Feb. 2011. All of the asset and flow data included in this article was released on Monday, Mar. 5th by the ETF Industry Association.
In Feb. 2012 alone exchange-traded net inflows topped $13.9 billion. The strongest groups included $1.8 billion into U.S. equity ETNs, $5.6 billion into global and international equity ETFs, $1.2 billion into real estate ETFs, $4.2 billion into fixed income ETFs, and $3.2 billion into Commodity ETFs. During the month $1.5 billion flowed out of U.S. equity ETFs as well as $549 million outflow from currency ETFs.
Some of the largest Feb. 2012 inflows included $2.4 billion to Vanguard MSCI Emerging Markets (VWO), $1.4 billion to iShares MSCI-Emerging Markets (EEM), $1.3 billion to SPDR Gold (GLD), and $1.1 billion to SPDR Barclays High Yield Bond (JNK).Some of the largest Feb. 2012 ouflows included $3.6 billion from SPDR S&P 500 (SPY), $1.2 billion from iShares MSCI-EAFE (EFA), $794 million from iShares S&P 500 (IVV), and $645 million from SPDR DJIA (DIA). -- Reported by Kevin Baker in Jupiter, Fla.
For additional Investment Research check out our Ratings Research Center.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV