Kudlow: Romney Captures the Economic Spirit
By Larry Kudlow, CNBC Ancho
NEW YORK (CNBC) -- Mitt Romney snatched victory from the jaws of defeat in Michigan by unveiling a pro-growth, 20% tax-cut plan and by resetting his limited-government spending cuts and entitlement reforms. In other words, he delivered an economic-growth package. It served him well.
It may not have been the only factor in his victory last week, but it put him squarely in the voter zeitgeist. And it may be apocryphal on Super Tuesday in Ohio, where he has come back to dead even after being down double digits.
Now, if former Senator Rick Santorum had stayed on economic message with his tax-cut plan, he would have swept Michigan. But he unnecessarily wandered off the reservation. Women serving in the military; JFK's church-and-state speech; the threat of ruling out contraception -- by veering in these directions he completely undermined his economic message. And he lost because of it.
More from CNBC
Mitt Romney Gets the Supply-Side Approach
Politicians Need to Be Better Listeners Says Bernard Ferrari, Author of 'Power Listening'
Behind Saudi Pipeline Story: Nervous Traders--and Distrust
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV