NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Welcome to Don Dion's "ETF Winners and Losers." Be sure to stop by throughout the week to find out which ETFs are gaining or losing.
iPath Dow Jones UBS Natural Gas Subindex Total Return ETN (GAZ) 6.6%
Futures-tracking natural gas exchange traded products are diverging dramatically at the start of the week with GAZ topping the winner's list and the United States Natural Gas Fund (UNG) tumbling into over 4% losses. GAZ's crippling premium has ballooned to over 100%. Continue to steer clear.
The Wall Street Journal reported today that Chrysler is slated to unveil plans to produce a production-line pickup powered by natural gas. Embracement on the part of consumers would play a major role in sopping up the excessive supply that has plagued the natural gas industry for years. However, GAZ and UNG are still not safe bets. Those looking to target this corner of the energy sector should stick to equity-backed instruments like the First Trust ISE Revere Natural Gas Index Fund (FCG).
LosersMarket Vectors Solar Energy ETF (KWT) -4.1% As the U.S. market indices head lower, some of the most volatile market-correlated industries are taking the biggest hits. Solar energy, for instance, is taking a sharp shot across the bow, pushing KWT and the Guggenheim Solar ETF (TAN) to steep losses. The stretch of weakness these two products have endured has caused them to give back the bulk of their gains seen during the opening weeks of 2012. Global X Copper Miners ETF (COPX) -3.5% The materials sector is floundering in the market's choppiness, leading miners to notable losses. The pain can be felt across both base metal and precious metal producers, with COPX and the Market Vectors Junior Gold Miners ETF (GDXJ) taking lumps. The physically based iShares Silver Trust (SLV) is off nearly 3% in early afternoon trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV