During his five-year stint as CEO for the bank, the stock quadrupled.
But O' Neill's expertise at restructuring sick banks did not serve him well in 2009, when he came close to being Bank of America's (BAC) CEO, only to lose out to Brian Moynihan.
According to media reports, O' Neill was pushing for a break up of Bank of America to make it simpler and less prone to volatility, but the bank preferred to stay the course as a money center bank.Now as the chairman of Citigroup, O'Neill might have an easier time pushing for a more focused business model, given CEO Vikram Pandit's goal of returning the bank to a more traditional banking model that is focused on lending. O' Neill was appointed to Citi's board in 2009 and oversaw the winding down of the bank's unwanted assets as a member of the executive committee of Citi Holdings, which houses non-core assets. In the fall of 2011, he was named chairman of Citibank N.A. Hedge fund manager Tom Brown said O' Neill had been instrumental in setting up the bank structure of the new Citigroup and had high praise for the new chairman. "We say there are 7,000 banks, but not 7,000 great bank CEOs.Michael o' Neill is one of the great bank CEOs," he told Bloomberg Television.. While acknowledging that O'Neill was now a chairman and not a CEO, he asked "How many people when they get to be named CEO of a bank does their stock rise 10%? That's what happened with Bank of Hawaii." CLSA analyst Mike Mayo had called for
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Shanthi Bharatwaj. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/shavenk. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV