NEW YORK, March 5, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The Randstad Employee Confidence Index increased for the second consecutive month in February, rising 1.5 points to 53.9. This marks the highest level of employee confidence recorded since May of last year, with employees feeling more confident in their personal employment situations and the macroeconomic environment overall.
"We are very pleased to see our U.S. Employee Confidence Index jump start 2012 on a high note," said Joanie Ruge, senior vice president and chief employment analyst for Randstad US Holding. "The first two months of the year have both registered slightly higher than the indices reported in January and February of 2011. In fact, our latest Index is consistent with other positive economic indicators, such as job creation, a decrease in unemployment claims, and the U.S. economy growing a higher-than-anticipated three percent in the final three months of 2011. Many watch employee confidence indicators because steady increases may signal rises in consumer spending—which makes up 70 percent of economic activity. But, with rising gas prices and continued concerns over the European debt crisis, many U.S. workers and employers, remain cautiously optimistic until they see more of a steady stream of positive news over the next few months."
The online survey was conducted by Harris Interactive on behalf of Randstad. It surveyed 1,453 employed U.S. adults, aged 18 and over between February 15-17, 2012.
A Look Inside the Report:Confidence in Overall Situation:
- Employee Confidence is at its highest level since May of 2011. Prior to this time, the highest score was recorded in October of 2007, with worker confidence recorded at 56.4. This increase over the last few months indicates that U.S. workers are feeling more positive about their personal employment situations and in the overall economy.
- While more confident overall, employees are split on the strength of the economy, with 30 percent reporting that the economy is getting better; 37 percent feel it is staying the same; and 33 percent believe the economy is getting weaker
- Nineteen percent of those surveyed believe there are more jobs available, up one percent from last month and six percent from December 2011
- Forty-three percent of employees surveyed are confident in their ability to find a job, up six percent from January
- Overall, employees continue to remain confident in the future of their employers, with 59 percent indicating their confidence—a two percent decrease from the previous month
- Sixty-nine percent of employees feel it is unlikely they will lose their jobs. This number is down three percent from last month
- For the third consecutive month, slightly more than one-third of workers (34 percent) believe it is likely that they will look for a new job within the next 12 months
- More than half of workers surveyed (53 percent) are not likely to look for new positions in the next year
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV