10 Sales Tricks You Keep Falling For
The snooty waiter
While being friendly and helpful is usually the way to go, sales reps at high-end retailers might find some benefit in acting aloof and snobbish.
"They'll create a superior attitude so that a certain sort of customer will feel like they need to please that person," she explains. It's akin to a snooty waiter scoffing at your choice of wine so that you'll feel like you need to order a more expensive bottle to avoid embarrassing yourself.
Incidentally, Yarrow suggests that such a strategy may not be as effective as it was before the recession took hold and Americans realized that it was more important to pay down their credit card debt than that to impress snobbish handbag sellers.
A related tactic is to make customers feel as though they're part of some exclusive club. Gault says that she often hears sales reps at retail stores refer to items as being part of an "exclusive line" that you can't find anywhere else.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV