Dow Today: Merck (MRK) Leads The Day Higher, Caterpillar (CAT) Lags
The Dow Jones Industrial Average (^DJI) is trading down 32.0 points (-0.2%) at 12,945 as of Monday, Mar 5, 2012, 9:35 a.m. ET. During this time, 23.9 million shares of the 30 Dow components have changed hands vs. an average daily trading volume of 818.6 million. The NYSE advances/declines ratio sits at 837 issues advancing vs. 1,785 declining with 189 unchanged. The Dow component leading the way higher looks to be Merck (NYSE:MRK), which is sporting a 20-cent gain (+0.5%) bringing the stock to $38.13. Volume for Merck currently sits at 434,733 shares traded vs. an average daily trading volume of 16.2 million shares. Merck has a market cap of $118.2 billion and is part of the health care sector and drugs industry. Shares are up 0.6% year to date as of Friday's close. The stock's dividend yield sits at 4.4%. Merck & Co., Inc. provides various health solutions through its prescription medicines, vaccines, biologic therapies, animal health, and consumer care products. The company has a P/E ratio of 18.7, below the average drugs industry P/E ratio of 28.1 and above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. TheStreet Ratings rates Merck as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income, revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow.
- You can view the full Merck Ratings Report.
- You can view the full Caterpillar Ratings Report.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV