Ameresco, Inc. (NYSE:AMRC), a leading energy efficiency and renewable energy company, announced today that it has signed an Energy Savings Performance Contract (ESPC) with the McAllen Independent School District (McAllen ISD), one of the largest districts in the Rio Grande Valley. Ameresco has begun construction on energy efficiency measures at 39 facilities district wide in McAllen, Texas. Once complete, the measures are expected to save McAllen ISD more than $1.2 million annually over the term of the contract.
Faced with continuing state education budget reductions and a slowing economy, McAllen ISD was experiencing an increasing failure rate of critical mechanical equipment that had reached the end of its useful life. This forward-thinking school district identified several resources and, when combined with an ESPC, will be able to repair or replace aged equipment and address significant deferred maintenance issues.
Ameresco’s ESPC was able to stretch McAllen ISD’s dollars into more than $16 million of infrastructure renewal. McAllen ISD is now able to make critical upgrades to its energy infrastructure and increase energy efficiency without bearing the burden of initial capital investment from taxpayers.
“Ameresco understood our sense of urgency and was able to work quickly with the District team on a transparent basis to address our critical needs,” said Mike Barrera, EdD, Assistant Superintendent of District Operations for McAllen ISD. “The performance contract concept and Ameresco’s expertise has allowed us to leverage resources, make improvements, and implement conservation measures otherwise not possible in these economic times.”Using a variety of data from sources, such as site surveys and facility interviews, Ameresco identified 17 energy conservation measures to increase energy efficiency throughout McAllen ISD. A few of the upgrades and energy efficiency measures that Ameresco will begin to implement this month include the following:
- Retrofit 39,958 light fixtures
- Install 4,494 automatic lighting controls
- Replace 1,003 sink aerators with low flow aerators
- Install power management scripts for 10,000 computers
- Install 121 internet-enabled programmable thermostats in portable buildings
- Install 16 air curtains for kitchen backdoors
- Replace failing roofs at four schools
- Replace 118 split system heating and air conditioning units
- Replace five chillers
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV